Orutsararmiut Native Council
Job Title: Chief Accountant/Controller
Employment: Full-time, 7.5 hours/day -37.5 hours/week
FLSA Status: Exempt, Benefitted
Salary Range: $75,455.50 – $122,889 per year, DOE
Supervisor: Executive Director
Job Summary: The Chief Accountant/Controller is responsible for planning, organizing, directing, and coordinating the complete financial function for the Orutsararmiut Native Council Tribe as directed by the Executive Director. Department management requires that the Chief Accountant/Controller work closely with the Finance Committee and program directors/staff to provide accounting services to the Tribe. The Chief Accountant/Controller is responsible for supervising accounting staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise accounting department; Participate in the interviewing, selection, placement, and performance management of accounting staff
- Ensure various accounting systems and internal controls are in place for day-to day operations, according to ONC’s fiscal policies & procedures, and monitor for compliance. Review and recommend changes to fiscal policies/procedures for approval by the Finance Committee; incorporate changes after final review & approval
- Directly responsible for daily financial activities of ONC. Controls expenditures of all funds in accordance with contract, grant, organization, or other requirements.
- Responsible for monthly, quarterly, and year-end activity including bank reconciliation, maintaining journal entries, maintaining chart of accounts, and filing reports, such as: federal tax withholdings, W-2’s, 1099’s, and gaming reports.
- Regularly meet and work with program directors & personnel to prepare program budgets, prepare & submit regularly scheduled reports (monthly, quarterly, annual, etc.) as required by funding agencies, ensure that staff understand program requirements and compliance factors, prepare statement of activities
– Review grants, approve budgets, provide budget-to-actual account reports, complete drawdowns, and reconcile accounts to ensure budget balances are accurately reported.
– Reviews and modifies all departmental budgets and participates in grant or contract negotiations
- Responsible for planning and attending Finance Committee meetings, must attend some Council meetings
- Prepare & present monthly reports of activities and any items assigned
- Prepare & present annual financial reports for ONC’s Annual Membership Meeting
- Arranges for, and coordinates all regulatory and annual independent audits as required by applicable laws, regulations, grant, or contract provisions.
- Under the direction of the Executive Director, prepare ONC’s Indirect Cost Rate Proposal in accordance with federal guidelines; present to the Council to approve the submission of the proposal to the Department of the Interior
- Safeguards all assets through insurance and other security means.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director of ONC.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
BA/BS Degree – combination of education & experience may be substituted for degree requirement
- CPA or ability to acquire within 1 year of employment, highly preferred
- 4 years of experience in tribal governmental accounting or non-profit organization
- Comprehensive knowledge of accounting principles and best practices
- Ability to build and communicate complex financial reports, records and analyze financial data
- Must be willing to work some evenings
- Must be able to work independently with minimal guidance, take initiative and work as a team player
- Must maintain a high level of professionalism
- Must understand and be committed to confidentiality
- Must be able to work cooperatively and with sensitivity with people from a broad range of backgrounds and experience
Working Conditions: The position requires constant, high performance in a fast-paced environment serving multiple organization elements with exemplary customer service.
Orutsararmiut Native Council exercises Alaskan Native/American Indian Preference under Public Law 93-638, Section 7(b). In the absence of any suitably qualified Indian applicant, all other applicants will receive equal opportunity for consideration of employment
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org