Frequently Asked Questions FAQs

Higher Education

Q: Who can apply?

A: We welcome anyone who is Alaska Native and/or America Indian to apply, but ONC gives priority to ONC Tribal Members. Association of Village Council Presidents (AVCP) provides scholarship services to tribes that have compacts with them.

Q: I was awarded the scholarship last semester. What do I need to do to receive continued funding?

A: A new application submission is not required. Please send, email, or fax the 477 Department copies of your final semester grades (unofficial transcript will suffice) along with your class schedule for the following semester.

Child Care Assistance

Q: How does the payment and copayment system work?

A: ONC will pay their obligated portion of a child’s cost of care directly to the child care provider. The parent will pay their obligated portion (Copay) directly to the child care provider as well.

Q: How often do child care providers get paid?

A: Payment is made biweekly, usually on a Tuesday or Thursday.

Payment rates and sliding fee scale are available from the 477 Department Staff. We will be happy to produce them to you, as they do change occasionally.

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program LIHEAP

Q: What is the income guideline for eligibility for LIHEAP benefits?

A: Our office uses the published Federal Poverty Level (FPL) with our threshold being 150% of the FPL.

General Assistance

Q: How long after I apply does it take to process my application?

A: Application processing can take 1-3 weeks. Case workers must collect required backup documentation and data before we determine eligibility for benefits.

Comments are closed.