The General Assistance Program (GA) provides financial assistance payments to eligible Alaska Native and American Indians, for essential needs:
- Shelter (rental, mortgage payment)
- Basic necessary utilities (no phone bill payment)
The goal of the GA is to increase client’s self-sufficiency. GA is only available when no other resources are available to the applicant.
General Assistance is not an emergency assistance fund.
General Assistance is not for eviction notices, shut-off notices, medical travel, or funeral travel.
The timeline for processing a complete application is 1-3 weeks. Application process requires applicant participation in creating and completing Individual Self-Sufficiency Plan (ISP) goals (included in the application packet).
- Must be Alaska Native and/or American Indian, provide documentation
- Must be a Bethel resident
- Must NOT receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Adult Public Assistance (APA), or Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
- Applicant must apply for assistance from other Federal, State, Borough, or local programs for which they may be eligible
- Applicant must have documented insufficient resources to meet the basic and special needs items as defined above
- All applicants with dependent children are required to apply for TANF and follow TANF regulations
In addition to the GA application, please provide the following:
- Copy of State ID
- Copy of Tribal ID or Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood (CDIB) card for all household members
- Copies of Birth Certificates for all dependent children
- Current utility bills (we do not accept past due bills)
- Receipts from rent, or mortgage payment
- Copy of all earned and unearned income for all household members for 30 days prior to signature date of application
Examples: Pay stubs, Tax Returns, detailed bank statements for 30 days prior to the signature date of application